Jun 7, 2023
Updates on what we have been up to.
Since purchasing the Waumbek just over six months ago, we’ve been very busy!
Here’s a summary of what’s been done thus far:
• Mowed the entire course, removing tons of hay that had grown since the course was abandoned.
• Aerated, top-dressed, fertilized and seeded all greens and several fairways.
• Engaged Ross Forbes, a Lancaster native and nationally-acclaimed golf course architect, to advise and assist in the restoration plans.
• Tilled and smoothed-out #4 and #6 fairways—no more washboard on #4!
• Fixed drainage on several holes, which will enable the course to open earlier and play dryer throughout the season.
• Fixed or replaced countless components of the irrigation system throughout the course, updating most with modern valves and sprinkler heads. This has been a huge (and expensive) project that we expect will greatly improve the quality of our greens, tees and fairways!
• Engaged Samyn D’Elia Architects of Holderness, architects of the Mt. Washington Hotel’s golf and nordic ski center, to design our new clubhouse.
• Ordered 40 new EZ-Go lithium-ion electric golf carts for delivery in 2024.
• Removed hundreds of dead trees and acres of brush to improve views and allow more sunlight to reach the golf course. Grass loves sunlight!
• Rebuilt hundreds of feet of the historic stone walls lining several of the fairways.
• Began construction of the new (par 3) 17th green, south of the Meadows Road, and the new (par 5) 18th tees, just north of the Meadows Road.
• Designed new forward tees that will enable beginners and older golfers to enjoy the sport more, while speeding up the pace of play.
• Joined the National Golf Course Association and attended the industry’s largest trade show, gathering intelligence regarding new technologies and best practices.
We love keeping you up to date and are so excited to welcome you back to this course in 2024!
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for progress photos.